Friday, May 20, 2011

I'm Ready!

It’s been a week. Or shall I say its been an interesting two weeks. Last week was supposed to be my final “big numbers” training week but I was sidelined for the most of the week due to a sudden, out of nowhere, uninvited infection. Doctor told me I had caught it just in time before it turned to strep so I dodged a bullet there. Anyway I did not get much training done because I was so afraid I was going to make myself sicker and I did not want to chance not being able to participate in the Triathlon.  

This week was set to be my taper week. I am not the best at tapering and I have found it’s even harder for me when the taper week falls after such a low almost no performance week. I was able to make it to Greensboro, Ga on Tuesday afternoon and have spent the past 4 days training in the hills and checking out the bike and run race routes. I have learned a few things since having arrived.

First, expect the unexpected. I did not even remotely think I would need a wetsuit by this time of year esp. in Georgia. However, when I got in the water I realized it was freezing.  The temps have been in the upper 90s but there has been a cold front that moved in around the end of last week and has stayed. Anyway I got in the water and I rather quickly removed myself. This was on Wednesday. So I did what anyone would do in my situation, panic, I sought out some advice from an expert in the field, KC of 140 Point 6 Miles of Awesome.  I don’t know what I would have done without her help. Within an hour she had sent me to the Xterra website and told me her recommendation, the Vortex 3 full sleeve, along with finding a coupon allowing me to get the wetsuit at ½ the price. It does not get better than that! Today has been the first day it has been warm and by warm its back in the 80’s and the weather people are saying lower 90s for race day. Depending on what the temp of the water is tonight I may not even get to wear the suit. But I dang sure have one now if the water temps don’t reach 78.

Second, Valdosta, Ga is FLAT. I had done some training on hills around there but let me say the hills there are the flat part here. I drove the bike and run course and I could not believe I was about to attempt anything other than driving a car on such hills. But it is what it is and I am not going to let it hinder my attempt.

Third, there are some amazingly supportive and inspiring people that will go out of their way to help a “stranger”. Sure I help people but it’s my job, I get paid to do it. What I truly find inspiring are those that do it just out of the kindness of their heart. Since having joined blogger I have been very fortunate to have “met” some of these people. I feel as if I have been accepted into a community of others that share a common interest and are not out to say “Hey, look at me I’m better than you” but more like “Hey, how can I help you get to where you want to be”. I find so much inspiration from these people and if you’re reading this you more than likely are one of the people I am referring too. Kc, as I have mentioned before, has been one of the most inspiring, motivating, helpful people I think I have ever met. Another blogger, Jason, who writes the blog Cook, Train, Eat, Race, go check out his site he was kind enough to produce this menu for me yesterday. Amazing!!! There are so many more to mention. For each of you that have sent me motivation Thank you it has kept me focused and consistent in my effort at reaching my goals.  

I have so much more to share but I need to head over to the park and pick up my race packet. My family has driven in and we are having a grill out tonight burgers for them and spaghetti for me with Jason’s The Blue Line Runner Risotto!

Hopefully, tomorrow I will have finished something I have dreamed about doing for some time now. If I’m last I don’t think I will ever care because I will have finished. With that said next time I sign on I hope to have EARNED a new title.

9 comments:

  1. get it girl! good luck and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow I totally can't wait to hear all about this!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear the story...do great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting to hear the story about how it went! Working on my story for Mad Beach right now. Hope to see yours soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I didn't realize you were racing in Greensboro - I love Lake Oconee! Hope you had a great race :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to hear about bloggers helping bloggers!

    ReplyDelete